Modernist sculptor Chaim Gross (1904–1991) is known for his direct wood carvings of jubilant circus performers, confident urbanites, and intimate mother and child pairings, imagined in various states of solitude and joyous interdependence and rendered in a combination of traditional and tribal/folk styles. A native of Austria, Gross emigrated in 1921 as teenager from war torn Eastern Europe to New York City, where he studied sculpture at the Educational Alliance on the Lower East Side and came to know painters Moses and Raphael Soyer, Peter Blume, Adolph Gottlieb, and many other important 20th-century New York artists. Gross then expanded upon his study of sculpture with Robert Laurent at the Art Students League and Elie Nadelman at the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design. After his first solo show in New York in 1932 at Gallery 144, Gross’s works were soon acquired by major Manhattan and American museums, including The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Whitney Museum of American Art. Today, the largest body of his sculpture in a public collection may be found at the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington D.C., while a permanent display of his sculpture is on view at the The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation in Gross’s historic townhouse and studio in Greenwich Village.